Diphenoxylate/atropine (By mouth)
Atropine Sulfate (AT-roe-peen SUL-fate), Diphenoxylate Hydrochloride (dye-fen-OX-i-late hye-droe-KLOR-ide)
LomotilThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you ever had an allergic reaction to atropine or diphenoxylate.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much to take and how often.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon or medicine cup.
- Drink plenty of caffeine-free, clear liquids such as ginger ale, tea, water, gelatin, or broth during the first 24 hours.
If a dose is missed:
- Take the missed dose as soon as possible.
- Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next regular dose.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Do not freeze the oral liquid.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are taking any drugs that could make you sleepy such as antidepressants, strong pain killers, cold and allergy medicine, or tranquilizers.
- Tell your doctor if you are also taking an MAO inhibitor such as Marplan®, Parnate®, Nardil®, or Eldepryl®.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Talk with your doctor before taking if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or have liver or kidney disease, colitis, or other medical problems.
- This medicine may cause drowsiness. Be careful if you drive a car or use machinery.
- You should not use this medicine more often or in larger doses than your doctor ordered.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Severe constipation with bloating
- Irregular or fast heartbeat
- Trouble breathing
- Decreased or no urine for more than 8 hours
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Drowsiness, dizziness, or restlessness
- Dry mouth
- Blurred vision
- Trouble urinating
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.