Propolis is a supplement used to treat asthma, sore mouth or teeth, and genital herpes.
Other names for propolis include: bee glue, propolis resin, propolis wax, and propolis balsam.
Ask your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist if you need more information about this medicine or if any information in this leaflet concerns you.
Tell your doctor if you
Talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or nurse about how much propolis you should take. The amount depends on the strength of the medicine and the reason you are taking propolis. If you are using this medicine without instructions from your caregiver, follow the directions on the label. Do not take more propolis or take it more often than what is written on the directions.
Keep all medicine locked up and away from children. Store medicine away from heat and direct light. Do not store your medicine in the bathroom, near the kitchen sink, or in other damp places. Heat or moisture may cause the medicine to break down and not work the way it should work. Throw away medicine that is out of date or that you do not need. Never share your medicine with others.
Propolis may interact with other medicines you may be taking. Talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or nurse before taking propolis with any other medicine.
Stop taking your medicine right away and talk to your doctor if you have any of the following side effects.
1. Hay KD & Greig DE: Propolis allergy: a cause of oral mucositis with ulceration. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1990; 70(5):584.
2. Khayyal M, El-Ghazaly MA, El-Khatib AS et al: A clinical pharmacological study of the potential beneficial effects of a propolis food product as an adjuvant in asthmatic patients. Funda Clin Pharmacol 2003; 17(1):93-102.
3. Mahmoud A, Almas K, Dahlan A et al: The effect of propolis on dentinal hypersensitivity and level of satisfaction among patients from a university hospital Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Indian J Dent Res 1999; 10(4):130-137.
4. Pincelli C, Motolese A & Pincelli L: Contact dermatitis from propolis. Contact Derm 1984; 11(1):49.
5. Vynograd N, Vynograd I & Sosnowski Z: A comparative multi-centre study of the efficacy of propolis, acyclovir and placebo in the treatment of genital herpes (HSV). Phytomedicine 2000; 7(1):1-6.