John J. Catlin, MD opened a medical practice in three rooms
above the old Buffalo Hardware building in downtown Buffalo.
John J. Catlin, MD moved his practice across the street into 12
rooms on the second floor of the new Schmidt Drug Store building.
This was called the Catlin Hospital. In the years following, his
son, Ted J. Catlin, MD joined his practice and many years later, R.
Sandeen, MD joined them. From 1918 until Sept 4, 1951 the doors of
the hospital never closed.
City of Buffalo hires architect to begin planning a 15 to 20 bed
hospital at a cost of $33,000, with WPA providing labor. In a
special election, citizens voted 310 to 188 to sell bonds to build
the hospital. Before the project could get started, World War II
put the project on hold.
Another election confirms town's desire to build a hospital.
Cost for the building alone was placed at $150,000, and bonds were
to be sold. As an area hospital, its ultimate capacity would
eventually be 62 beds. Total cost of the project was set at
Hospital Board created. Members were: Vance Weaver, Joe
Peterson, A.P. Stafford, Harold Templin, Mrs. Lillian Welch, Mrs.
Earl Peterson, and Mrs. Carl Lindberg.
Construction started on new hospital located on Tower Hill.
Building would have room for 28 beds and a staff of 25. Ground
breaking for the project was June 8, 1950, with cornerstone
ceremony on September 19, 1950.
Buffalo Memorial Hospital Auxiliary organized by women of
various local communities. Membership was very high and they were
extremely active in fundraising. They were instrumental in buying
many pieces of equipment and furnishings including a cardiac
monitor, defibrillator, incubator, fetal monitor, and several items
used for physical therapy. They promoted many large community
projects to raise money such as style shows, rummage sales, and
craft bazaars. The Auxiliary eventually disbanded sometime after
An addition to the Buffalo Memorial Hospital approved by voters
to increase by an addition of 16 beds. $50,000 in bond sales were
approved and another $43,887 used form other city funds to increase
the facility to 45 bed capacity.
Buffalo Memorial Hospital first addition opens with 8 additional
rooms, 2 beds and a large bathroom in each, additional storage
rooms, a morgue and physical therapy department.
A second addition approved for Buffalo Memorial Hospital to make
room for 26 more beds, one pediatric room, a laboratory, and x-ray
room. General and administrative offices as well as medical records
were also included.
May 25, 1969 open house was held for the second addition to the
hospital. This new addition offered an expanded emergency room,
pediatric ward, an intensive care observation room, and larger
office and lobby areas.
Buffalo Memorial Hospital joins the Health Central Hospital
Group to participate in the new and efficient cost cutting method
of group buying for lower costs.
Health Central took over business office, accounting and
budgeting for the local hospital.
Hospital opened a chemical dependency facility in purchased
Covenant Church manse.
City of Buffalo sells hospital to Health Central, Inc.
Hospital opens new building in October.
Annandale Family Physicians opens in Annandale with one doctor
and two other staff members.
Basic 911 service started in county.
Buffalo Memorial Hospital name changes to Health Central of
Independently owned FamilyCare Centers of Wright County:
Albertville, Annandale, Buffalo, Cokato, Montrose, and Rockford
opened with six exam rooms in the Buffalo Hospital building to
provide specialty services to patients. The first year of the
clinic's operation provided specialty services and discovered that
additional primary care services were needed in Buffalo. These
services were provided by physicians from the other FamilyCare
Centers on their days and evenings off in Buffalo.
FamilyCare Centers of Wright County changed name to Buffalo
Family and SpecialtyCare Center and recruited Dr. Andrew Burgdorf
as family physician. Dr. Burgdorf is still with the clinic
Name change to Health One Buffalo Hospital (merge with Health
Cokato Medical Clinic sold its private practice to LSI in April
and was then helped in staffing by physicians from Litchfield.
911 service enhanced to include name, phone, and address.
Hospital opens Rehab Center.
Population of Wright County is 102,000