RIVER FALLS, Wis.
The Commission on Cancer (CoC), a quality program of the American College of Surgeons, has granted Three-Year Accreditation with Commendation to the Virginia Piper Cancer Institute® - River Falls Area Hospital. To earn voluntary CoC accreditation, a cancer program must meet or exceed the CoC quality care standards, be evaluated every three years through a survey process and maintain levels of excellence in the delivery of comprehensive, patient-centered care.
Patient Thomas Redner is treated in the infusion center at River Falls Area Hospital.
Only about 25 percent of U.S. hospitals have accredited cancer programs.
"Our comprehensive cancer program focuses on the full spectrum of cancer care including prevention, early diagnosis, optimal treatment, rehabilitation, survivorship and end-of-life care," says Heather Simpson, cancer program coordinator with River Falls Area Hospital. "Accreditations such as this confirm that our hospital offers our neighbors the exceptional care that they expect and deserve, without having to leave the community."
Accreditation ensures that patients within the community will have access to:
• quality cancer care that is available close to home
• dedicated resources to provide quality treatment and supportive care services to cancer patients
• comprehensive, patient-centered care through a team approach to coordinate the best treatment options
• information about clinical research studies and trial options
• access to prevention and early detection programs, cancer education, rehabilitation and support services such as psychosocial and survivor care
• cancer registry that collects data on type and stage of cancers and treatment, and lifelong patient follow-up
• ongoing monitoring and continuous improvements in patient care.
This accreditation is especially satisfying because it means that we have sustained our high level of quality care for patients since our initial survey in 2010, when we earned our first three year accreditation with commendation,” said Simpson.
The Virginia Piper Cancer Institute provides comprehensive care through all aspects of cancer prevention, early detection and treatment to help individuals maintain quality of life and find ways to live with and beyond cancer. The Institute was founded in 1990 at Abbott Northwestern Hospital. Both are part of Allina Health.