Five Minnesota high schools with athletic trainers from Sports & Orthopaedic Specialists, part of Allina Health, are the recipient of the National Athletic Trainers’ Association Safe Sports School award. The award champions safety and recognizes secondary schools that provide safe environments for student athletes. The award reinforces the importance of providing the best level of care, injury prevention and treatment.
Recipients of the 1st Team award include Minnetonka High School, Cretin-Derham Hall High School, Providence Academy, St. Paul Academy, and St. Thomas Academy.
"Sports & Orthopaedic Specialists is honored to partner with these high schools who received this recognition from the NATA," said Eric Drake, Supervisor of Outreach Services at Sports & Orthopaedic Specialists. "We remain committed to keeping student athletes safe during team practices and games so they can accomplish their own goals of great competition, winning records, fair sportsmanship and good health. This is a testament to the outstanding work being done by the athletic trainers and team physicians at each of our respective schools."
In order to achieve Safe Sport School status, as these five high schools did, athletic programs must do the following:
• Create a positive athletic health care administrative system
• Provide or coordinate pre-participation physical examinations
• Promote safe and appropriate practice and competition facilities
• Plan for selection, fit function and proper maintenance of athletic equipment
• Provide a permanent, appropriately equipped area to evaluate and treat injured athletes
• Develop injury and illness prevention strategies, including protocols for environmental conditions
• Provide or facilitate injury intervention
• Create and rehearse a venue-specific Emergency Action Plan
• Provide or facilitate psychosocial consultation and nutritional counseling/education
• Be sure athletes and parents are educated of the potential benefits and risks in sports as well as their responsibilities
Sports & Orthopaedic Specialists, part of Allina Health, is a nationally recognized orthopedic and sports medicine practice providing services to the greater Twin Cities area. Our physicians, certified athletic trainers and physical therapists provide community outreach by providing event coverage for over 20 teams and clubs in Minnesota.