Allina Health is distributing 10,000 pairs of new athletic shoes and socks to kids in need so they are able to run, play and be active. The New Shoes, Healthy Kids events will occur at 16 Allina Health and community locations throughout central Minnesota and Western Wisconsin on April 18.
"Shoes that fit are a basic necessity that many kids in our communities lack. Instead they wear shoes that are too small or too big, or in extreme cases, no shoes at all. Often, this lack of shoes inhibits their ability and willingness to be active," said Eric Barth, MD, an Allina Health pediatrician.
At the New Shoes, Healthy Kids events, more than 1,500 volunteers at 16 Allina Health and community locations throughout the Allina Health service area will fit kids to their new shoes and help test them out with active play. (See the list below for all locations, dates and times.) Children in need of a pair of shoes are invited to attend one of the events. Children must be present.
Shoes will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis. Available shoe sizes are kids 12-3 and boys and girls 4-7. Shoes are not guaranteed for all.
"Shoes are a unique and needed donation to students. Teachers notice students in worn and ill-fitting shoes on a regular basis. At my school, we store spare shoes just so students can take gym class," said Scott Taylor, principal of Park Brook Elementary School in Brooklyn Park.
Allina Health purchased 10,000 pairs of athletic shoes through a partnership with the Two Ten Foundation, BBC International, BCNY/Synclaire Brands and New Balance. Through these partnerships, the average cost of a pair of new athletic shoes to Allina Health was $7.50 -- less than 50 percent of wholesale cost.
"We are thrilled to help Allina Health with New Shoes, Healthy Kids. The footwear industry has mobilized unlike any other in the U.S. with a national program called Footwear Cares that will touch tens of thousands of families this month," said Neal Newman of the Two Ten Foundation. These locations will distribute shoes on April 18
These locations will distribute shoes on April 25
- Allina Health Brooklyn Park Clinic, 9300 Noble Parkway North, Brooklyn Park, MN 55433, 9-11 a.m.
- Allina Health Buffalo Clinic, 303 Catlin St, Buffalo, MN 55313, 9 a.m.-noon
- Allina Health Burnsville Clinic, 14000 Nicollet Ave S, Burnsville, MN 55337, 9 a.m.-noon
- Allina Health Forest Lake Clinic, 1540 Lake St S, Forest Lake, MN 55025, 9-11 a.m.
- Allina Health Shakopee Clinic, 1601 St. Francis Ave, Shakopee, MN 55379, 9-11 a.m.
- Anoka Middle School for the Arts - Fred Moore Campus, 1523 S 5th Ave, Anoka, MN 55303, 9 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Cambridge Medical Center, 701 S Dellwood St, Cambridge, MN 55008, 9 a.m.-noon
- Cimarron Youth Center, 875 Lake Elmo Ave, Lake Elmo, MN 55042, 9-11 a.m.
- Interfaith Outreach & Community Partners, 1605 County Road 101 N, Plymouth, MN 55447, 9 a.m.-1 p.m.
- John A. Johnson Achievement Plus Elementary School, 740 York Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55106, 9 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Midtown Exchange, 920 E Lake St, Minneapolis, MN 55407, 9 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Owatonna Hospital, 2250 NW 26th St, Owatonna, MN 55060, 9-11 a.m.
- Regina Hospital, 1175 Nininger Road, Hastings, MN 55033, 9-11 a.m.
- Richfield Dual Language School, 7001 Elliot Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55423, 9 a.m.-noon
- River Falls Area Hospital, 1629 E Division St, River Falls, WI 54022, 9-11 a.m.
- Spring Lake Park High School, 1100 81st Ave, Spring, 9 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Bridgewater Elementary School, 401 Jefferson Parkway, Northfield, MN 55057, 9 a.m.-noon
- Faribault West Mall, 200 Western Ave NW, Faribault, MN 55021, 10 a.m.-12:30 p.m.