Skip section navigation
Owatonna Hospital construction history
After four years of planning, designing, training and testing the new Owatonna Hospital is now open.
Below is a historical timeline of the many construction projects that have brought us to the new replacement hospital in Owatonna.
The original Owatonna City Hospital, a large, two-story, brick-veneered home with barn, at 828 S. Cedar St., was purchased for $6,500. It opened for the care of patients in January 1901, and served 105 patients the first year.
W.H. Kelly donated $10,000 for an addition, with the stipulation that the building was to cause no extra expense to Owatonna.
A nursing school was started to meet the hospital's demand for trained nurses.
A 50-bed addition was built at a cost of $101,000 to answer the problem of overcrowding. The addition included operating room, delivery room, administration, dietary and laundry departments. The hospital complex now included the original home, Kelly Wing, and 1931 addition, as well as the Knotty Pines Nurses' Home and a tennis court.
In November, Owatonna voters approved a bond issue to remodel and build at the hospital, although construction didn't start until 1959. The two-story addition, connected to the 1931 building, was completed in 1961 at the cost of more than $1.3 milliion.
The city tore down the Oppliger residence, site of the original hospital.
The hospital was fully accredited by the Joint Commission for Accreditation of Hospitals. Later that decade, a third floor was added to the east and south wings of the 1961 building.
The city entered into a lease agreement with the Health Central Corporation. The following year, a $7 million construction project began.
Construction was completed and hospital was renamed Health Central of Owatonna.
Health Central Corporation merged with Health One Corporation.
In January, the facility was renamed Health One Owatonna Hospital.
The Mental Health Department opened for patients providing crisis treatment, psychiatric evaluation, medication evaluation and referral to appropriate outpatient resources for patients and their families.
Allina Hospitals & Clinics began operating Owatonna Hospital, when Health Span, the hospital's parent company, merged with Bloomington-based Medica to form the new company.
The hospital underwent a $1.5 million renovation project, which did not add space, but altered up to 10,000 square feet of the facility. The renovation included remodeling of the labor and delivery areas, including the addition of two labor/delivery/recovery suites; moving the intensive care unit and incorporating it with the medical surgical unit on the first floor; moving ambulatory surgery into the vacated intensive care unit on the first floor, and creating space for joint projects between the hospital and Owatonna Clinic.
Renovations also occurred in 1991, 1992, 1998, 1999 and 2001.
The vision for a healthcare campus in Owatonna began in 1999 with construction plans for Owatonna Clinic's 26th Street location and the purchase of additional land to accommodate a healthcare campus.
Envisioning a new hospital
Owatonna Hospital Board of Trustees and Administration recommend construction of a new hospital based on a three year study.
Owatonna City Council holds first hospital study session to learn more about the city's role in the new hospital construction.
Owatonna City Council holds final hospital study session and approves proposal for construction of new hospital.
Allina Hospitals & Clinics board of directors approved plans to move forward with the feasibility design phase of a new hospital in Owatonna to replace the facility located at 903 South Oak Avenue, Owatonna.
Allina's Board of Directors approved release of $46 million to fund the design and construction of a new hospital in Owatonna.
Owatonna Hospital launched a survey and held five community forums to help guide the design of the new hospital in Owatonna.
The Expanding the Dream campaign is a community venture launched earlier this year to fund special features of the new hospital, which were identified as important during community forums and an online survey.
Hammel, Green and Abrahamson, Inc. (HGA) Architects and Engineers was selected to design the new hospital.
July 31, 2007
Owatonna Healthcare Campus held groundbreaking ceremony for new hospital, expanded clinic.
Excavation and construction began.
May 15, 2008
Topping Off Ceremony held at new hospital site.
New Hospital opened Friday, Oct. 16, 2009 at 7 a.m.