Abbott Northwestern's Piper Breast Center earns national distinction
MINNEAPOLIS 06/18/2009--Abbott Northwestern Hospital's Piper Breast Center is the first breast center in Minnesota to be accredited by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers.
NAPBC is a consortium of professional organizations dedicated to improving the care and objectively monitoring the outcomes of breast care programs. NAPBC-accredited programs offer comprehensive, multidisciplinary care for patients with breast disease.
"We've assembled the staff, technology and support services that ensure quality care and screening for patients with breast health concerns or breast cancer," says Deborah Day, MD, medical director of the Piper Breast Center. "It's an honor to receive this accreditation, which means we meet rigorous standards that contribute to excellent care."
Standards for National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers
NAPBC accreditation standards include:
- having a team approach to coordinated care and treatment options
- access to breast cancer-related information, education, and support
- breast cancer data collection on quality indicators for all subspecialties involved in breast cancer diagnosis and treatment
- ongoing monitoring and care improvement
- information about clinical trials and new treatment options.
About Piper Breast Center
Abbott Northwestern Hospital's Piper Breast Center, opened in 1995, is part of the Virginia Piper Cancer Institute and Allina Hospitals & Clinics, a non-profit network of hospitals, clinics and other health care services.
# # #