Helping Your Heart Online Manual
Skip section navigation
Support the heart patient
You can support your loved one in many ways.
- Attend clinic appointments with the patient. Write down any instructions, help ask questions and help remember answers.
- Ask your health care team to recommend support groups and educational classes. Attend alone or with the patient.
- If the patient is in the hospital, "rehearse" helping the patient get in and out of chairs, bed and the bathroom in front of a nurse. Then you'll know how to do it once you get home.
- Make a list of all important phone numbers and put a copy on the refrigerator and one by the bedside.
- Ask the health care team to carefully explain the medicine plan to you. Take notes.
- Ask the health care team to carefully explain the eating plan to you. Take notes.
- Help shop, prepare and arrange for healthy meals that fit the new eating plan.
- Record appointment times for rehabilitation, clinic visits, home health care and other services. Help the patient arrange transportation, if need be.
- Make a list of patient's questions for the health care team, and add in your own.