Heart failure action plan
Spanish | Hmong | Somali | Russian
Do your checklist every day
- Weigh yourself in the morning before breakfast. Write down your weight. Compare it to yesterday's weight.
- Take your medicine as directed.
- Check for swelling in your feet, ankles, legs and stomach.
- Eat foods low in sodium (salt). Eat less than 2,000 mg of salt today.
- Be able to do your regular activities without being short of breath.
- Have enough energy to get through the day.
Call your health care provider if you have any of the following:
gain 3 pounds in one day or 5 pounds in one week
more short of breath than usual
more swelling of your feet, ankles, legs or stomach than usual
feeling more tired than usual or being unable to do your everyday activities
- breathing becomes harder when you lie down (You need to start sleeping in a chair.)
- if you are unable to take your medicine as directed
Call 911 of go to a hospital emergency department if you are:
- struggling to breathe
- having chest pain
- confused or unable to think clearly.