Understand your risk of heart disease
(HealthDay News) -- Coronary artery disease (CAD) occurs when plaque builds up in the vessels and restricts blood flow to the heart. Common risk factors for CAD include:
- having high blood pressure, high LDL, or "bad," cholesterol or low HDL or "good," cholesterol
- being a smoker, overweight or obese
- having insulin resistance or being diabetic
- having metabolic syndrome
- getting insufficient exercise
- eating an unhealthy diet that's high in saturated fat, sodium or sugar
- being older
- having a family history of heart disease.
Attribution: -- Diana Kohnle
U.S. National Heart Lung and Blood Institute
Copyright © 2014 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
First published: 02/06/2014
Last updated: 02/06/2014