Get more bang for your beans
(HealthDay News) -- Beans are rich in fiber and full of valuable nutrients, while largely void of fat and cholesterol.
Try these suggestions for how to add beans to your favorite recipes:
- Use black beans in dishes such as Cuban rice and beans, soups, stews and tacos.
- Use cannellini, or white kidney beans, in your favorite Italian side dishes, casseroles, salads, soups and stews.
- Add garbanzo beans in hummus, casseroles, stews, soups and couscous.
- Make a mixed-bean salad, chili, Cajun bean dishes, soups and stews with red kidney beans.
- Make tofu, side dishes and soups with soybeans.
- Pinto beans can be added to stews and soups, or used to make refried beans or Mexican rice and beans.
Attribution: -- Diana Kohnle
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
First published: 07/15/2013
Last updated: 07/15/2013