Getting the most from fresh garden herbs
(HealthDay News) -- Home-grown herbs can spice up your cooking with plenty of health benefits.
Try these herb care suggestions:
- Just before using, wash herbs and gently pat dry with a paper towel.
- Toss any leaves that are damaged.
- Use stems of herbs that are soft and pliable to add flavor.
- Pick herbs just before they bloom, when flavor is at its peak.
- For more flavor, add herbs toward the end of cooking time to hot dishes. Add herbs hours before eating to cold dishes that don't require cooking.
- Chop fresh herbs into fine pieces to release more flavor and aroma.
Attribution: -- Diana Kohnle
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
First published: 06/24/2013
Last updated: 06/24/2013