Pack a bike-friendly snack
(HealthDay News) -- Planning a long-distance bike ride? You should pack a nutritious snack to help sustain your energy as you pedal.
These bike-friendly snacks will give your muscles the nutrients they need:
- bananas, which are a good source of potassium and carbohydrates
- peanut butter and jelly (or honey) sandwich on a tortilla. Swap peanut butter for almond butter or sunflower butter if you have a peanut allergy.
- trail mix packed with nuts and dried fruits, such as raisins, apricots and prunes. Opt for salted nuts if you tend to sweat excessively.
- an energy bar packed with nuts, dried fruits and whole grains
- Don't forget bottled water or a sports drink.
Attribution: -- Diana Kohnle
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
First published: 06/04/2013
Last updated: 06/04/2013