Before you lift something heavy
(HealthDay News) -- Lower back pain is among the leading causes of missed work in the United States. Fortunately, you can take steps to reduce your risk of hurting yourself.
Try these techniques for proper lifting:
- Ask for help if you are trying to lift something that's too heavy.
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, and stand as close as possible to the object you're lifting.
- Bend at the knees, never at the waist. Lift with your legs, not your back.
- Contract your abdominal muscles when you lift to support your back.
- Hold the object close to your body as you lift.
- Don't twist or bend while lifting a heavy object.
Attribution: -- Diana Kohnle
American Council on Exercise
First published: 05/16/2013
Last updated: 05/16/2013