Stretch before and after exercise
(HealthDay News) -- Proper stretching can help reduce the risk of injury and improve your workouts.
Try these suggestions for proper stretching:
- Gently and slowly stretch for at least five to seven minutes before aerobic exercise.
- Make sure your stretching motions are relaxed and slow.
- Never bounce when stretching, which can cause you to pull a muscle.
- Don't push too hard; stretch until you feel mild tension in the muscle but never to the point of pain.
- Without bouncing, hold each stretch for at least 15 seconds while breathing naturally. Take a break and repeat.
- Perform cool-down stretches for at least five to seven minutes after aerobic exercise.
Attribution: -- Diana Kohnle
Women's Heart Foundation
First published: 03/25/2013
Last updated: 03/25/2013