Stay safe this Halloween
(HealthDay News) -- When kids are on the prowl for candy this Halloween, make sure the night is filled with treats, not trauma.
Consider these trick-or-treating safety tips:
- Make sure any costume accessories -- such as knives and swords -- are flexible, short and soft.
- Never let children trick or treat alone.
- Carry a flashlight, put reflective tape on all costumes and don't allow the kids to run. Take care when crossing the street.
- Limit candy gathering to a reasonable amount. Carefully inspect candy for choking hazards and tampering before letting your children dig in.
- Make sure costumes and masks fit well to avoid falls.
- Avoid walking near luminaries or lit candles, and make sure costumes are flame-resistant.
Attribution: -- Diana Kohnle
U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
First published: 10/24/2012
Last updated: 10/24/2012