Exercising in cold weather
(HealthDay News) -- Most people can exercise comfortably in cold weather, assuming they bundle up. The prime concern is preventing hypothermia -- the loss of too much body heat.
Consider these suggestions for exercising safely in the cold:
- Wear layers of clothing that you can peel away as you warm up.
- Keep your head, hands and feet warm with a hat, gloves and socks.
- Always check the weather before heading out. Don't exercise outdoors in dangerous conditions.
- Avoid cotton or tightly woven clothing, which may retain moisture next to the skin.
- If it's very cold, wear a scarf or mask to cover your nose and mouth.
Attribution: -- Diana Kohnle
American Council on Exercise
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
First published: 10/12/2012
Last updated: 10/12/2012