Am I at risk for gallstones?
(HealthDay News) -- Gallstones are small, pebble-like substances that form in the gallbladder, causing pain and discomfort.
The risk factors for developing gallstones include:
- being a woman, especially if you are pregnant, taking birth control pills or on hormone replacement therapy
- having a family history of gallstones
- being of native American or Mexican heritage
- being overweight or eating a high-fat, high-cholesterol diet
- losing weight quickly
- being 60 or older
- being diabetic
- taking a cholesterol-lowering drug.
Attribution: -- Diana Kohnle
U.S. National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
First published: 08/20/2012
Last updated: 08/20/2012