Flavor food without the fat
(HealthDay News) -- You don't need to add fat to get plenty of flavor from your favorite dishes.
Try these suggestions to spice up your food without piling on the calories:
- Use techniques that employ high heat for more intense flavor, such as broiling, grilling or pan-searing.
- Use fresh herbs and seasonings, such as cumin, cilantro, basil, caraway, chives, rosemary, ginger or garlic.
- Add a sprinkle of a sharp cheese to your favorite vegetable, rice or pasta.
- Add dried ingredients, such as sundried tomatoes, dried plums, cranberries, figs, apricots or red pepper flakes.
- Use brightly colored peppers to add flavor, and a splash of hot sauce or jalapenos.
- Add a squirt of citrus juice or grated peel from lemons, limes or oranges.
Attribution: -- Diana Kohnle
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
First published: 07/06/2012
Last updated: 07/06/2012