Help kids have an active summer
(HealthDay News) -- It's summertime, and the living is easy for kids out of school. But parents should help their children stay active while the weather is hot.
Here are suggestions for how kids can enjoy a healthy summer vacation:
- Encourage kids to visit with friends in person, instead of chatting with them on the phone.
- Shut down the computer and video games, and have the kids go outside for a game of tennis, a hike or rollerblading.
- Enroll the kids in a community sports league or sign them up to run or walk in a 5k.
- Volunteer the kids for a summer camp, clean-up effort, community garden or project to build homes.
- Have the kids babysit and take their charges for bike rides or to the park.
Attribution: -- Diana Kohnle
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
First published: 07/09/2012
Last updated: 07/09/2012