Tips for reducing stress
These are tips for reducing stress while taking care of someone who has had a stroke:
- Take stroke recovery one day at a time. Be hopeful for a successful recovery.
- Appreciate each small gain your loved one makes.
- Expect that your skills and knowledge will improve. This is a time of learning for both of you.
- Plan for breaks so you and your loved one are not together all the time. Time apart is important for you both. Do activities that get you both out of the house.
- Ask family members and friends to help.
- Read about how other stroke survivors and caregivers coped with change. The American Stroke Association, National Stroke Association and Minnesota Stroke Association are great resources.
- Join or start a support group for caregivers.
- Be patient with and kind to each other. Don't take out your frustrations on each other. Talk with a family member, friend, professional or support group about your feelings.