Tips for reducing stress
These are tips for reducing stress while you're recovering from a stroke:
- Take your stroke recovery one day at a time. Be hopeful for a successful recovery.
- Appreciate each small gain as you learn how to do things in different ways.
- Expect that the caregiver's skills and knowledge will improve. He or she is learning right along with you.
- Try new ways of doing tasks, talking and speaking and organizing your social life.
- Plan for breaks so you and your caregiver are not together all the time. Time apart is important for both you and the caregiver. Try to do activities that get you both out of the house.
- Ask family members and friends to help.
- Read about how other stroke survivors cope with change. These are excellent resources:
- Join or start a support group.
- Be patient with and kind to each other. You may feel irritated or upset some times, but don't blame anyone. Don't take your frustration out on the other person. Talk with a family member, friend, professional or support group about your feelings.