Role of family and friends in stroke recovery and rehab
The role of your family and friends is important in your rehab. They need to understand what you are going through and how the stroke has affected you.
The adjustment may be easier if family and friends know how to handle problems that may come up after you leave the hospital. They can also help by giving you support and encouragement.
Family and friends can help by:
- dealing with their own reactions (such as anger, anxiety or resentment)
- knowing that your progress can be slow
- visiting and talking with you
- letting you know you are still needed and important
- supporting your rehab decisions
- becoming educated about your condition and recovery
- asking to go along to therapy sessions
- showing confidence in your improvement
- taking care of themselves by eating well, getting rest and doing things they enjoy
- sharing responsibilities
- being realistic in knowing you may have recovery limits.