Skip to main content


Beginnings: Pregnancy, Birth & Beyond

Skip section navigation

Giving birth: When to call your health care provider

Call your health care provider or midwife if:

  • your water breaks (gush or trickle of fluid)
  • you are bleeding from the vagina more than just spotting
  • you have constant, severe pain with no relief between contractions (Call your health care provider of midwife right away.)
  • your contractions are five minutes or less apart and have been that way for at least one hour or if your contractions become longer, stronger and closer together
  • you have a temperature of more than 100.4 F
  • you have any problems you know or think are related to your pregnancy
  • you notice a decrease in your baby's activity.

Call your health care provider or midwife any time you are worried about yourself or your baby's well-being.


Source: Allina Health's Patient Education Department, Beginnings: Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond, sixth edition, ISBN 1-931876-14-2

First published: 10/04/2002
Last updated: 01/16/2013

Reviewed by: Allina Health's Patient Education Department experts