Recipe: Black beans with rice
This Latin favorite is a good source of fiber and protein.
1 pound dry black beans
7 cups water
1 medium green pepper, coarsely chopped
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 bay leaves
1 clove garlic, minced (or more to taste)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon lemon juice (or vinegar)
6 cups white rice, cooked in unsalted water
1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Pick through beans and remove the bad ones. Soak beans overnight in cold water. Drain and rinse.
- In large soup pot or dutch oven, stir together beans, water, green pepper, onion, oil, bay leaves, garlic and salt. Boil, covered, for 1 hour.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes or until beans are very tender. Stir occasionally and add more water if necessary.
- Remove about 1/3 of the beans, mash and return to the pot. Stir and heat through.
- Remove bay leaves and stir in lemon juice or vinegar when ready to serve.
- Serve over rice. Garnish with lemon wedges.
Second trimester: Exercise and nutrition
More healthy recipes
Month 6: Mom and baby continuing to grow
Allina Pregnancy Care
Source: Allina Patient Education, Heart Healthy Recipes, nutr-ahc-93462
First published: 03/01/2005
Last updated: 10/27/2011
Reviewed by: Allina Patient Education