Recipe: Un-fried chicken
Tastes fried but doesn't have the fat of fried chicken. Good as cold leftovers, too.
6 chicken drumsticks
1/2 cup skim or low-fat milk for soaking the chicken
1/2 cup plain dry bread crumbs or cereal crumbs
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes, crumbled
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
Vegetable oil spray for the chicken, if desired*
- Place the chicken drumsticks in a shallow bowl or pan, and cover them with the milk. Let the chicken soak for 15 minutes or longer making sure it is evenly coated with the milk. Refrigerate, if necessary, to keep the ingredients cold.
- In a shallow bowl or pie plate, combine the bread crumbs or cereal crumbs, cheese, parsley flakes and pepper.
- One by one, dip the soaked chicken pieces in the breading mixture, coating the chicken on all sides.
- Set the coated chicken pieces on a greased baking sheet, preferably one with a nonstick surface. Lightly spray the chicken pieces with vegetable oil spray, if desired.
- Bake the chicken in an oven preheated to 375 degrees Fahrenheit for about 45 minutes or until fully cooked.
* Option not included in nutrition facts.
Third trimester: Exercise and nutrition
More healthy recipes
Month 7: Starting your third trimester
Allina Pregnancy Care
Source: J. Brody, Jane Brody's Good Food Book. Bantam Books, 1985
First published: 09/05/2000
Last updated: 02/26/2009
Reviewed by: Allina Patient Education