Qualifying for a donation
The members of the transplant team will review your situation to see if you qualify for a kidney donation.
You may qualify if you:
- are age 65 or younger with healthy kidneys
- are in good general health
- have normal blood pressure
- have two normal-sized kidneys
- have normal urine and blood tests
- are willing to donate a kidney
- are able to understand the risks and benefits of donation
- are able to sign an informed consent form stating you knowingly agree to surgery.
You may not qualify if you have:
- kidney (renal) disease
- high blood pressure (hypertension)
- major health problems (such as emphysema, cancer, heart disease)
- a drug or alcohol problem
- feelings of being forced to donate.
If you decide to continue with the evaluation you will have some blood drawn to find out your blood type.
All information will be kept between you and the transplant team. It is your decision to decide how much information is shared with the recipient.