Get the latest on diabetes or other health news you choose.
How to check your heart rate
It is important to exercise at a safe and effective training level. There are three ways to check that you are working at the right level for you.
Check your heart rate. To do this:
- Find your pulse on your wrist. (See illustration at right, top.)
- Put two fingers on the inside of your wrist just below your thumb. (See illustration at right, bottom.)
- Press lightly until you feel your pulse.
- Count the heartbeats for 10 seconds. Multiply the heartbeats by six.
- If your pulse is irregular or skips beats, count the beats for a full 60 seconds.
- The average resting rate is between 60 to 100 beats each minute.
- If your rate is higher than average, slow down and don't exercise so hard.