Skip to main content


Guide for the Care of Children Online Manual

Skip section navigation

Allina Health services

Dental injuries

If your child gets a permanent tooth knocked out, find it (if possible) and put it in a jar of milk. Hold clean gauze at the spot of the knocked out tooth.

Take your child to your dentist or a hospital emergency department as soon as you can. The dentist may be able to replant the tooth, but only if you get there as soon as possible.

If your child gets hit in the mouth and there is tooth, gum and lip damage, take him to a hospital emergency department right away.


Source: Allina Health's Patient Education Department, Guide for the Care of Children: Ages Birth to 5 Years Old, fifth edition

To avoid awkward sentences, instead of referring to your child as "he/she" or "him/her," this guide will alternate between "he" or she" and "him" or "her."

First published: 02/01/2010
Last updated: 01/01/2014

Reviewed by: Allina Health's Patient Education Department experts, including the Pediatric Department of Allina Health Coon Rapids Clinic