In 1855, following the death of his own daughter, the Reverend John V. Van Ingen proposed the construction of Christ Church Orphan's Home and Hospital. The hospital opened in 1857. In 1877 the Church Hospital moved into a new building and the name was changed to Saint Luke's Hospital. Five years later, Saint Luke's moved to Smith Avenue in Saint Paul.
In 1961, Saint Luke's opened its award-winning cloverleaf-designed nursing units. In 1972, Saint Luke's and nearby Charles T. Miller Hospital consolidated to form United Hospital, using the physical campus of Saint Luke's and the human resources of both hospitals.
In 1976, ground was broken for a new United Hospital facility, designed to share a number of services with Children's Hospital. Riverview Memorial Hospital merged with United in 1979, and in 1980, the newly constructed medical center, United Hospital and Children's Health Care - St. Paul, was dedicated. Complete timeline of United Hospital's history.
United Hospital is the largest hospital in the Twin Cities east metro area, providing a full range of health care services to more than 200,000 people each year.
United's excellent staff, modern facilities and commitment to providing patients with the best care using state-of-the-art technology has helped the hospital attract some of the most renowned and innovative practitioners in the nation. United's employees and medical staff are committed to place patient needs first and treat all individuals with compassion and respect.