Hydrocodone/chlorpheniramine (By mouth)
Chlorpheniramine (klor-fen-IR-a-meen), Hydrocodone (hye-droe-KOE-done)
Treats cough and other symptoms of a cold or allergies. This medicine contains a narcotic cough suppressant.
HYDROcodone and Chlorpheniramine Pennkinetic, TussiCaps, Tussionex Pennkinetic, VituzThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to hydrocodone or chlorpheniramine.
How to Use This Medicine:
Long Acting Capsule, Liquid
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Do not mix this medicine with liquids or other medicines.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup. Shake the medicine well before you use it. Rinse the measuring device or dosing spoon after each use.
- Swallow the extended-release capsule whole. Do not crush, break, or chew it.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how hydrocodone and chlorpheniramine work. Tell your doctor if you are using any of the following:
- MAO inhibitor (MAOI)
- Medicine for depression, anxiety, or mental illness
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
- Tell your doctor if you use anything else that makes you sleepy. Some examples are allergy medicine, narcotic pain medicine, and alcohol.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, Addison disease, an enlarged prostate or trouble urinating, glaucoma, lung or breathing problems (such as asthma), stomach or bowel problems, or an underactive thyroid. Tell your doctor if you have a history of head injury or drug or alcohol addiction.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Respiratory depression (severe breathing problem)
- Risk of overdose, which can lead to death
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Do not drive or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.
- This medicine can be habit-forming. Do not use more than your prescribed dose. Call your doctor if you think your medicine is not working.
- This medicine may cause constipation, especially with long-term use. Ask your doctor if you should use a laxative to prevent and treat constipation.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blue lips, fingernails, or skin, trouble breathing
- Extreme dizziness or weakness, shallow breathing, slow heartbeat, seizures, and cold, clammy skin
- Severe constipation
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Dry mouth or throat
- Mild constipation, nausea, or vomiting
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 3/28/2016
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.