Potassium phosphate (Injection)
Potassium Phosphate (poe-TAS-ee-um FOS-fate)
Treats or prevents low levels of phosphorus in the blood.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive this medicine if you had an allergic reaction to potassium phosphate.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines and foods can affect how potassium phosphate works. Tell your doctor if you are using digoxin.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, heart disease, a heart rhythm problem, or adrenal gland problems.
- This medicine may cause potassium levels in the blood to be too high or calcium levels to be too low.
- This medicine contains aluminum. Large amounts of aluminum can be harmful, especially to premature babies and people who have kidney problems.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Confusion, nervousness
- Fast, pounding, or uneven heartbeat
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, or fainting
- Muscle stiffness or spasms, heavy feeling in the legs
- Weakness, trouble breathing, numbness in your hands, feet, or lips
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 3/28/2016
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.