Influenza virus vaccine, recombinant (Injection)
Influenza Virus Vaccine Recombinant (in-floo-EN-za VYE-rus VAX-een ree-KOM-bi-nant)
Helps prevent infection with influenza virus.
Flublok, Flublok 2014-2015 FormulaThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not receive this vaccine if you have had an allergic reaction to influenza vaccine (flu shot).
How to Use This Medicine:
- This vaccine is given as a shot into one of your muscles, usually in the shoulder.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
- You need to get the flu vaccine every year to protect you from the flu.
If a dose is missed:
- Most people need only 1 dose of the vaccine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using a medicine or treatment that weakens your immune system, such as a steroid, radiation, or cancer treatment. This vaccine may not work as well if you are also using these medicines. Your doctor may still want you to get the vaccine because it can give you some protection.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Before you receive this vaccine, tell the healthcare provider if you
- are pregnant or breastfeeding,
- have problems with your immune system,
- have had Guillain-Barre syndrome, or
- have had an unusual reaction to a flu shot, such as severe muscle weakness.
- Influenza virus vaccine may not protect everyone who receives the vaccine. Also, this vaccine will not treat flu symptoms if you have already been infected with the virus.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Joint or muscle pain
- Redness, pain, swelling, bruising, or a small lump where the shot was given
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 11/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Copyright © 1984- Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.