Linaclotide (By mouth)
Treats irritable bowel syndrome with constipation (IBS-C) and chronic idiopathic constipation (CIC).
LinzessThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:Do not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to linaclotide, or if you have a history of stomach or bowel blockage. Do not give this medicine to children younger than 6 years of age.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- Take this medicine on an empty stomach, at least 30 minutes before breakfast or your first meal of the day.
- Swallow the capsule whole. Do not crush, break, or chew it.
- This medicine should come with a Medication Guide. Read and follow these instructions carefully. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions. Ask your pharmacist for the Medication Guide if you do not have one.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Keep the medicine in the original bottle that it came in. The bottle should also contain a small desiccant package to keep the medicine dry. Leave the desiccant in the bottle with the pills.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine away from children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have other stomach or bowel problems.
- Stop using this medicine and call your doctor right away if you have severe diarrhea.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse, call your doctor.
- Your doctor will need to check your progress at regular visits while you are using this medicine. Be sure to keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Bloody or black, tarry stools
- Severe diarrhea, stomach pain
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Swelling or full feeling in your stomach
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Copyright © 1984-
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.