Linaclotide (By mouth)
Treats irritable bowel syndrome with constipation (IBS-C) and chronic idiopathic constipation (CIC).
LinzessThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:Do not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to linaclotide, or if you have a history of stomach or bowel blockage. Do not give this medicine to children younger than 6 years of age.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Take this medicine on an empty stomach, at least 30 minutes before breakfast or your first meal of the day.
- Swallow the capsule whole. Do not crush, break, or chew it.
- This medicine should come with a Medication Guide. Ask your pharmacist for a copy if you do not have one.
If a dose is missed:
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Keep the medicine in the original bottle that it came in. The bottle should also contain a small desiccant package to keep the medicine dry. Leave the desiccant in the bottle with the pills.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have other stomach or bowel problems.
- Stop using this medicine and call your doctor right away if you have severe diarrhea.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Bloody or black, tarry stools
- Severe diarrhea, stomach pain
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Swelling or full feeling in your stomach
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 3/28/2016
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.