Technetium tc 99m sulfur colloid (Injection)
Technetium Tc 99m Sulfurcolloid (tek-NEE-see-um Tc 99m SUL-fyoor-coh-loid)
This medicine is a diagnostic agent that helps body organs and tissues show up better during a medical test.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not receive this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to technetium Tc 99m sulfur colloid.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose and tell you when it should be given.
- A doctor or other trained health professional will inject this medicine through a needle. It could be given in different ways depending on the reason for the test. This medicine could be injected under the skin, into a vein, into your abdomen, or some other route.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or able to become pregnant. You should be given this medicine either within the first 10 days after your monthly period starts or you should have a pregnancy test within 48 hours of the imaging test.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are breastfeeding. You should not breastfeed your baby for at least 6 hours after you receive this medicine. The milk must be pumped and thrown away.
- You will be exposed to radiation when you are given this medicine. This could increase the risk of cancer, especially for children. Talk with your doctor if you have concerns about this.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Lightheadedness, dizziness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Burning, color change, swelling, or a lump under your skin where the needle is placed
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 11/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Copyright © 1984- Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.