Tafluprost (Into the eye)
Treats glaucoma and hypertension of the eye. This medicine is a prostaglandin.
ZioptanThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:Do not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to tafluprost.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after using this medicine.
- Shake the eye drops well just before each use.
- Lie down or tilt your head back. With your index finger, pull down the lower lid of your eye to form a pocket.
- To use the eye drops: Hold the dropper close to your eye with the other hand. Drop the correct number of drops into the pocket made between your lower lid and eyeball. Gently close your eyes. Place your index finger over the inner corner of your eye for 1 minute. Do not rinse or wipe the dropper or allow it to touch anything, including your eye. Put the cap on the bottle right away. Keep the bottle upright when you are not using it.
- After you open the single-use container of Zioptan?, use the medicine right away. Throw away any unused medicine. The medicine does not stay sterile after the container is opened.
- Open only 1 single-use container each time your use the medicine, even if you need drops in both eyes. The container has enough medicine for both eyes, if needed.
- You may have other eye drops that you also need to use. Wait at least 5 minutes before putting another eye drop in the same eye.
- This medicine comes with patient instructions. Read and follow these instructions carefully. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Cartons and unopened foil pouches: Store in the refrigerator. Do not freeze.
- Opened foil pouches: Store at room temperature for up to 28 days. Protect from moisture.
- Write down the date that you open the foil pouch. Throw away any unused medicine 28 days after you opened the pouch for the first time.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of the used medicine container and any leftover medicine after you have finished your treatment. You will also need to throw away old medicine after the expiration date has passed.
- Keep all medicine away from children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your eye doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have an eye infection, eye inflammation, a lens problem, or other eye problem.
- Check with your eye doctor right away if you have eye itching, redness, swelling, or any irritation. Let you doctor know if you have an eye injury or infection, or if you plan to have eye surgery.
- This medicine may cause a brown color in the iris (colored part), eyelid, or eyelashes of your treated eye. Your eyelashes may also become longer, thicker, and darker. Some of these changes may be permanent, even if you stop the medicine.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Change in vision
- Eye pain
- Redness, pain, itching, or swelling of the eye or eyelid
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Darker color or increased growth of the eyelashes
- Dry eyes
- Mild itching, burning, or redness of the eye
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Copyright © 1984-
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.