Treats high amounts of methotrexate in the blood of patients who have severe kidney disease.
VoraxazeThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not receive this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to glucarpidase.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
- Drink extra fluids so you will urinate more often and help prevent kidney problems.
If a dose is missed:
- Only 1 dose of this medicine will be given.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Leucovorin should not be given within 2 hours of this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Tell your nurse or doctor right away if you have an infusion reaction. Some symptoms might be fever, chills, rash, hives, itching, headache, tingling, or numbness. You might also feel hot, or your throat may feel tight or swollen.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, or fainting
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Diarrhea, nausea, or vomiting
- Numbness, tingling, or burning pain in your hands, arms, legs, or feet
- Warmth or redness in your face, neck, arms, or upper chest
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 3/28/2016
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.