Butalbital/acetaminophen/caffeine/codeine (By mouth)
Acetaminophen (a-seet-a-MIN-oh-fen), Butalbital (bue-TAL-bi-tal), Caffeine (KAF-een), Codeine Phosphate (KOE-deen FOS-fate)
Treats pain, including headaches. Contains a barbiturate and a narcotic pain reliever.
Fioricet w/Codeine, Fioricet with CodeineThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to butalbital, acetaminophen, caffeine, or codeine, or if you have porphyria.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Take your medicine as directed.
- This medicine is not for long-term use.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some foods and medicines can affect how this medicine works. Tell your doctor if you are using an MAO inhibitor.
- Tell your doctor if you use anything else that makes you sleepy. Some examples are allergy medicine, narcotic pain medicine, and alcohol.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine. Acetaminophen can damage your liver, and alcohol can increase this risk.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, adrenal problems (such as Addison disease), enlarged prostate, trouble urinating, underactive thyroid, or stomach problems. Tell your doctor if you have a history of head injury or addiction to drugs or alcohol.
- This combination medicine contains acetaminophen. Carefully check the labels of all other medicines you are using because they may also contain acetaminophen. It is not safe to take more than 4 grams (4,000 milligrams) of acetaminophen in 24 hours.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Liver damage
- Serious skin reactions
- Do not breastfeed while you are using this medicine, unless you have your doctor's permission to do so.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Do not drive or do anything that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.
- Do not give this medicine to a child. Serious breathing problems and deaths have occurred when children have been given medicine that contains codeine.
- If you think you may have taken an overdose of this medicine, get emergency help at once.
- This medicine can be habit-forming. Do not use more than your prescribed dose. Call your doctor if you think your medicine is not working.
- This medicine may cause constipation, especially with long-term use. Ask your doctor if you should use a laxative to prevent and treat constipation.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect certain medical test results.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, red skin rash
- Dark urine or pale stools, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, stomach pain
- Dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting
- Extreme dizziness, drowsiness, or weakness, trouble breathing, slow heartbeat or shallow breathing, seizures, and cold, clammy skin
- Yellowing of your skin or the whites of your eyes
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 11/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Copyright © 1984- Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.