Spinosad (On the skin)
Treats head lice.
NatrobaThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to spinosad. This medicine should not be used in infants younger than 6 months of age.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Use this medicine exactly as directed by your doctor. Use the medicine on the hair and scalp only. Keep the medicine out of your eyes, nose, mouth, and vagina. If the medicine gets in your eyes, rinse them well with water.
- Shake the bottle well before using.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after you use this medicine.
- Apply the medicine directly to dry hair (up to 120 mL for long hair) and scalp. Leave the medicine on the hair and scalp for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, rinse your hair with warm water and dry with a clean towel. Comb hair with a fine-toothed comb to remove any nits (eggs) or nit shells. They look like small white dots.
- If live lice are seen 7 days after using this medicine, you will need to use this medicine again.
- Children will need an adult to apply the medicine for them.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist or doctor how to dispose of the medicine container and any leftover or expired medicine.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not use cosmetics or other hair products on the treated hair and scalp areas.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have any skin problems.
- This medicine contains benzyl alcohol which may cause serious reactions to newborn, premature, or low-birthweight infants. Check with your doctor if you are concerned.
- All members of your household should be checked, because lice are easily spread from one person to another.
- To prevent spread of lice: Dry-clean or wash your clothes, bedding, and personal items (including washcloths, towels, hats, scarves, combs, brushes, hairpieces, and wigs) in hot, soapy water.
- Do not use this medicine for a hair or scalp problem that has not been checked by your doctor.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Dry skin.
- Hair loss.
- Itching, burning, flaking, dryness, or redness of the scalp.
- Redness of the eye or skin.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Copyright © 1984-
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.