Vilazodone (By mouth)
Viibryd, Viibryd Titration PackThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to vilazodone.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you.
- It is best to take this medicine with food or milk.
- This medicine should come with a Medication Guide. Ask your pharmacist for a copy if you do not have one.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not use this medicine and an MAO inhibitor (MAOI) within 14 days of each other.
- Some medicines can affect how vilazodone works. Tell your doctor if you are using any of the following:
- St John's wort, buspirone, carbamazepine, erythromycin, fentanyl, ketoconazole, lithium, tramadol, or tryptophan supplements
- Medicine to treat migraine headaches, a diuretic or water pill, an NSAID pain or arthritis medicine (such as aspirin, celecoxib, diclofenac, ibuprofen, naproxen), or a blood thinner (such as warfarin)
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, bleeding problems, glaucoma, or a history of seizures.
- For some children, teenagers, and young adults, this medicine may increase mental or emotional problems. This may lead to thoughts of suicide and violence. Talk with your doctor right away if you have any thoughts or behavior changes that concern you. Tell your doctor if you or anyone in your family has a history of bipolar disorder or suicide attempts.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Serotonin syndrome (can be life-threatening)
- Increased risk of bleeding problems (when used with certain medicines)
- Low sodium levels in the blood
- Do not stop using this medicine suddenly. Your doctor will need to slowly decrease your dose before you stop it completely.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Do not drive or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Agitation, irritability, sudden increase in energy, trouble sleeping
- Anxiety, restlessness, fast heartbeat, fever, sweating, muscle spasms, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, seeing or hearing things that are not there
- Confusion, weakness, muscle twitching
- Thoughts of hurting yourself or others, worsening depression, unusual behavior
- Unusual bleeding or bruising
- Vision changes, eye pain
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Dry mouth
- Mild diarrhea, nausea
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 11/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Copyright © 1984- Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.