Treats iron deficiency anemia (not enough iron in the blood) in patients with chronic kidney disease (CKD).
FerahemeThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not receive this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to ferumoxytol or to any iron-containing products.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, low blood pressure, or a condition called iron overload. Tell your doctor if you are on kidney dialysis.
- This medicine may cause serious types of allergic reactions, including anaphylaxis. Anaphylaxis can be life-threatening and requires immediate medical attention. Call your doctor right away if you have a rash; itching; hoarseness; lightheadedness, dizziness, or fainting; trouble with breathing; trouble with swallowing; or any swelling of your hands, face, or mouth after you receive this medicine.
- Dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting may occur, especially when you get up from a lying or sitting position suddenly. These symptoms are more likely to occur when you begin using this medicine, or when the dose is increased.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect certain medical test results.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Chest pain, shortness of breath, troubled breathing, or wheezing.
- Cough or fever.
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, or fainting.
- Rapid weight gain.
- Swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Back pain or muscle spasms.
- Nausea, vomiting, or stomach pain.
- Rash or itching skin.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Copyright © 1984-
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.