This medicine causes a person to relax or sleep (be unconscious) before and during surgery or procedures. This medicine is a strong sedative.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to fospropofol.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- You will receive this medicine in a hospital or surgery clinic. A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Tell your doctor if you use anything else that makes you sleepy. Some examples are allergy medicine, narcotic pain medicine, and alcohol.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have heart disease, low blood pressure, breathing problems, or a low amount of oxygen in the blood.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Avoid driving, using machines, or doing anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert. You may also feel dizzy or lightheaded when getting up suddenly from a lying or sitting position, so get up slowly.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Confusion, weakness, or numbness or tingling in your hands, feet, or lips.
- Lightheadedness or fainting.
- Shortness of breath, cold sweats, and bluish-colored skin.
- Slow, fast, or irregular heartbeat.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Burning, crawling, itching, numbness, prickling, "pins and needles", or tingling feelings.
- Itching skin.
- Nausea or vomiting.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 3/28/2016
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.