Treats cyanide poisoning.
CyanokitThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:Because cyanide poisoning can be life-threatening, there is no reason not to use this medicine to treat it.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have had an allergic reaction to hydroxocobalamin or cyanocobalamin.
- This medicine may cause skin redness and make your skin more sensitive to sunlight. This effect may last for up to 2 weeks after you have received this medicine. Avoid being under the sun while your skin is red. Use a sunscreen when you are outdoors. Avoid sunlamps and tanning beds.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blurred vision, headache, or dizziness.
- Fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat.
- Shortness of breath, chest pain or discomfort.
- Swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Acne-like rash, skin redness.
- Eye swelling, irritation, or redness.
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, red or black stools, or stomach pain.
- Red-colored urine.
- Redness, pain, swelling, or itching where the needle is placed.
- Trouble swallowing, throat dryness or tightness.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 11/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Copyright © 1984- Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.