Magnesium salicylate (By mouth)
Magnesium Salicylate (mag-NEE-zee-um sa-LIS-i-late)
Relieves pain and swelling in rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis.
DeWitt's Pain Reliever, Doan's Extra Strength, Doan's Regular, Keygesic-10, PercogesicThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to magnesium salicylate or aspirin. Do not use this medicine if you have kidney disease, liver disease, or a heart disease called carditis, or if you have taken salicylates (such as aspirin) over a long period of time.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you.
If a dose is missed:
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- You should not take this medicine with a blood thinner such as warfarin (Coumadin®), probenecid (Probalan®), or methotrexate (Trexall®). Make sure your doctor knows if you are using medicines to treat seizures (such as phenobarbital, phenytoin, or Dilantin®) or a diuretic ("water pill") called spironolactone (Aldactazide®, Aldactone®).
- Your doctor will need to know if you are using a diabetes medicine that you take by mouth, such as chlorpropamide, glimepiride, glipizide, glyburide, tolbutamide, Amaryl®, Diabeta®, Glucotrol®, or Micronase®. You should not take medicines that contain magnesium, such as antacids (Gaviscon®, Maalox®, Mylanta®) or nutritional supplements, without asking your doctor.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- This medicine may cause unusual bleeding in certain people. Make sure your doctor knows if you have bleeding problems, a vitamin K deficiency, stomach ulcers, or gastritis. Tell your doctor if you have unusual bleeding, such as nosebleeds, bleeding gums, dark urine, or blood in your stool.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. You may need to stop using this medicine several days before you have surgery or medical tests.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Black, tarry stools.
- Confusion, lightheadedness, shaking, or hunger.
- Continuous ringing or buzzing noise in ears.
- Deep or fast breathing with dizziness, numbness of feet, hands and around the mouth.
- Dimness of vision.
- Restlessness, tremors, or convulsions.
- Unusual bleeding, bruising or weakness.
- Vomiting of blood or material that looks like coffee grounds.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Difficulty in hearing.
- Increased thirst or sweating.
- Nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 3/28/2016
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.