Trypan blue (Into the eye)
Trypan Blue (TRYE-pan BLOO)
Colors part of your eye blue during cataract eye surgery. This creates a contrast between the different parts of the eye to help your doctor see them more clearly.
MembraneBlue, VisionBlueThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not receive this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to trypan blue, or if you are planning to have an artificial lens implanted into your eye.
How to Use This Medicine:
- This medicine will be put into your eye by your doctor during the surgery.
- Any extra amount of this medicine will be washed out of your eye at the end of the surgery.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Some of this medicine may remain in your eye for a few days. It might make your eye or tears appear to be blue. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Blue color remaining in the eye.
- Discoloration of artificially implanted lens.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 11/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Copyright © 1984- Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.