Phenylephrine (On the skin)
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not use it if you had an allergic reaction to phenylephrine or to any other ingredient listed on the product label.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Follow the instructions on the medicine label if you are using this medicine without a prescription.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after you use this medicine. When possible, clean your anal area and gently dry the area before you apply the medicine.
- Apply this medicine around your anal area up to 4 times daily. It is best to use this medicine in the morning, after a bowel movement, or before you go to bed.
- Missed dose: Apply a dose as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and apply a regular dose. Do not apply extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how phenylephrine works. Tell your doctor if you are using the following:
- Medicine to lower blood pressure
- An MAO inhibitor (MAOI)
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. Also tell him if you have diabetes, heart disease, thyroid disease, high blood pressure, or problems urinating due to an enlarged prostate.
- Ask your doctor before you use this medicine on a child younger than 12 years.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve within 7 days, or if they get worse.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Bleeding from your rectum
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 11/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Copyright © 1984- Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.