Prevents or decreases swelling, irritation, sores, or ulcers on the lining of the mouth caused by medicines that treat blood or bone marrow cancers.
KepivanceThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not receive this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to palifermin or to protein products made from E. coli.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows about all other medicines that you use. Tell your doctor if you also use heparin.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding or if you have any other type of cancer or tumor.
- This medicine may cause some tumors to grow (not blood or bone marrow tumors). Tell your doctor if you have or have had any other type of tumor or cancer.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Numbness, tingling, or burning pain in your hands, arms, legs, or feet
- Rapid weight gain
- Severe rash on your skin
- Swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Bad taste in your mouth
- Discoloration or thickening sensation of your tongue
- Joint or muscle pain
- Mild skin rash
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 11/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Copyright © 1984- Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.