Omega-3-acid ethyl esters (By mouth)
Omega-3-Acid Ethyl Esters (oh-MAY-ga-3-AS-id ETH-il ES-ters)
Lowers high triglyceride levels in your blood.
Lovaza, OmacorThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:Do not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to omega-3-acid ethyl esters.
How to Use This Medicine:
Liquid Filled Capsule
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- It is best to take this medicine with food or milk.
- Swallow the capsule whole. Do not break, crush, chew, dissolve, puncture, or open the capsule. Do not let this medicine come into contact with foam plastic cups (Styrofoam).
- Take this medicine at the same time each day.
- Carefully follow your doctor's instructions about any special diet.
- This medicine comes with patient instructions. Read and follow these instructions carefully. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine away from children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you also use aspirin, clopidogrel (Plavix®), an NSAID pain or arthritis medicine (such as diclofenac, ibuprofen, naproxen, Advil®, Aleve®, Celebrex®, Voltaren®), or a blood thinner (such as warfarin, Coumadin®, Jantoven®).
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, if you have liver disease, or if you have had an allergic reaction to fish or shellfish. Tell your doctor if you have a heart rhythm problem called atrial fibrillation or flutter.
- Your doctor will need to check your blood at regular visits while you are using this medicine. Be sure to keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Fast or uneven heartbeat
- Trouble breathing
- Unusual bleeding or bruising
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Burping, constipation, nausea or vomiting, gas, stomach pain or upset
- Change in taste
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Copyright © 1984-
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.