Treats cysteine deficiency in babies. This medicine is an amino acid. Amino acids are used by your body to make proteins.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine should not be given to babies who have trouble using nitrogen from food. Babies who are in a coma caused by severe liver disease should not be given this medicine.
How to Use This Medicine:
- This medicine is added to your baby's TPN (Total Parenteral Nutrition) bag. It is given through a needle placed in one of your baby's veins.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure the doctor knows if you are giving your baby a medicine to treat an infection (antibiotic) such as tetracycline. Tell your doctor about all other medicines or supplements you are giving your baby.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your baby's doctor knows if they have liver disease, heart problems, or kidney disease.
- The doctor will need to check your baby's blood regularly while they are receiving this medicine.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Warmth, redness, or rash where the needle is placed.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Warmth or redness in your baby's face, neck, arms, or upper chest.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 11/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Copyright © 1984- Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.